Cemetery consists of 46 acres and
has been owned by the City of Spencer
since it was platted in 1878. It
was not the first cemetery in Spencer.
The first one was in an area northwest
of Spencer, but due to the high
water level, the bodies buried there
were moved to the present Riverside
site. Records of the burials were
destroyed by fire about 1916, so
now double records are kept, one
at the cemetery office, and the
other at City Hall. Many methods
were used to replace those records
lost in the fire. Relatives and
acquaintances were contacted, and
visitors came to the cemetery from
all over to assist. The Mausoleum
was constructed about 1918, and
the heirs of the builders sold it
in 1956 to the City of Spencer for
$1.00. It consists of a portal,
chapel with stained glass windows,
corridors, and a family department.
A $40,000 bequest in 1980 provided
funds to restore the Mausoleum for
chapel services. The Franklin Floete
family, early lumberyard dealers,
have the only private mausoleum
City was also given possession of
North Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery
in September of 1995. North Lawn
consists of 10 acres, and all burial
markers are level with the ground.
It was founded in 1937, as a cemetery
designed and developed along the
Park Plan Concept.
are many war veterans in our Spencer
cemeteries from the Spanish-American
War, the Civil War, World Wars I
& II, Korea and Vietnam. We
salute those of you who survived
these wars, and honor those who
died for us. There is a monument
at Riverside of a soldier holding
a gun. It was erected in 1915. It
is 20' high, 6'6" at the base,
and stands on a concrete foundation
reaching 6'6" below the surface.
It is constructed entirely of Vermont
granite. Spencer Monumental Works
was awarded the contract for the
monument for $2,000.
Memorial Day is also marked with
a display of Veteran Flags, known
as the "Avenue of Flags".
Approximately 25-30 new flags are
dedicated each year on Memorial
Day. Each flag is named for a deceased
veteran. It is a breathtaking sight
that is worth seeing.
cemetery staff consists of Superintendent
Irwin Martin and several part-time