New website coming soon!

Official Notices

Flood Hazard Information Meeting

Notice of Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) Consultation Coordination Officer (CCO) public meeting to discuss the revised flood hazard information for Spencer and Clay County, Iowa. The public meeting (open house) will take place 5-7 p.m. on Wednesday, December 11, 2019 in the Supervisors Room at the Clay County Administration Building, 300 West 4th Street, Spencer.
Revised floodplain maps are available for public review at City Hall. The public is welcome to view these in the Planning Department at City Hall 8am to 5pm daily. Electronic copies of the preliminary revised floodplain maps are available at the Iowa Flood Center website: Once at this web page, select “Clay” from the drop down county list, and it will automatically zoom into Clay County.
Additional questions may be directed to Steve Hallgren, Planning Director at 580-7200 x217 or

Sidewalk Snow Removal

It is the responsibility of the abutting property owner to remove snow and ice accumulations from the public sidewalks adjacent to their residence or place of business after a snow event. In the Spencer downtown commercial district, 12 hours is allowed from the time the snowfall ceases. In all other areas of the city, 24 hours is allowed from the time the snowfall ceases. If an abutting property owner does not remove the snow and ice within the time specified, the city may do so and assess the cost, including an administration fee.

Snow Parking Ordinance

No Parking on city streets or alleys from 12:00 midnight to 7:00 am.

This goes into effect if the National Weather Service predicts a snow accumulation of 2 or more inches or if new snow accumulation has reached 2 or more inches measured at the KICD radio station.

The snow event shall continue so long as snow accumulation continues and for an additional 48 hours after snowfall has ended. Non-compliance will result in a $100 fine and/or towed.

City Code, Title 7-5-7 article A

Solid Waste Reduction

Low to Moderate Income Families May Apply Through the Month of November 2019, at Spencer City Hall, 418 2nd Avenue West, Spencer, Iowa or by Calling 712-580-7200 for a Rate Reduction Consideration.  If you Qualify, the Reduction Would Be Rebated in December, 2019 on your Utility Bill.


Income Guidelines – 2019


1-Person                $18,735

2-People                $25,365

3-People                $31,995

4-People                $38,625

5-People                $45,255

6-People                $51,885

7-People                $65,145

2019-2020 Solid Waste Collection Calendar Available

The 2019-2020 Solid Waste Collection calendar is now available.  To download the new calendar, visit the Solid Waste page of the City's website.  It can be found in the Department tab above.

Pay My Bill Online

If you have received an invoice from the City of Spencer, you can now pay that invoice online via our online payment portal.  Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express are all accepted.  Click HERE to pay your bill.


The Spencer Police Department would like to remind the public that the use of “First-Class Consumer Fireworks” within the corporate city limits of Spencer is prohibited. Although you can legally purchase the fireworks in Spencer, you cannot use them within the city limits. A violation is a simple misdemeanor (ordinance 6-8-B2) punishable by a fine of not less than $250. When you include court costs and surcharge a conviction will cost a minimum of $397.50. Please celebrate responsibly!

First Class Consumer Fireworks include but are not limited to firecrackers, bottle rockets, sky rockets, aerial shell kits and reloadable tubes, chasers, helicopter and aerial spinners, mine and shell devices, and roman candles.

Second class consumer fireworks and novelties are legal to discharge within the city limits of Spencer. Second-class consumer fireworks include but are not limited to cone fountains, cylindrical fountains, flitter sparklers, ground and hand-held sparkling devices, ground spinners, wheels, wire or dipped sparklers and toy smoke devices that are not classified as novelties. Novelties include but are not limited to sparklers, snappers, party poppers, toy smoke devices, snakes and glow worms.

Vivienda Justa Es La Ley


Fair Housing Opportunity


Substandard Structure Assistance Available

For those Spencer residents that have received notification from the City of substandard structure(s) on their property, the City of Spencer is offering two different programs to assist citizens in making necessary repairs.  

The Paint Assistance program is available to owner occupied property owners for paint to be used on substandard structures referred to in the enclosed notice.  Applications are available at City Hall, 418 2nd Avenue West or by clickin on the Paint Assistance program.  If approved, homeowners will be reimbursed for paint up to $100 maximum per property, based on the size of the building(s), after the work has been completed and verified by the City, and upon your submission of paint sales receipts.

The Spencer Cares program is an income based funding program that is available for painting or other repairs that are required by the city to bring the substandard structure on your property into compliance. The maximum amount of funding per request is $750.   Applications are available at City Hall, 418 2nd Avenue West or by clickin on the Spencer Cares link. 

For questions, please call Kirby Schmidt (Ext. 217), Robyn Larsen (Ext. 225) or Theresa Reardon (Ext 213) at Spencer City Hall, (712) 580-7200.

Sidewalk Grant Program

In 2012 the Spencer City Council made it a goal to make Spencer a more walkable community. A sidewalk grant program was developed and put in place in January of 2013. The program attracted over 190 applicants for sidewalk replacement or installation of new sidewalk throughout the community.

For those residents needing sidewalk repairs or new sidewalk, a Spencer Sidewalk Grant is available again this season. This grant pays for the calculated amount of concrete required to replace or install a public sidewalk adjacent to their property.
A new feature of the program, this year, is that applicants can choose to have the cost of the sidewalk project assessed and included in their property taxes over a ten year period of time. In this case, the City will hire a contractor to complete the job.

If you were approved last year and did not get the job completed, you may re-apply and choose to have the City hire a contractor to complete the project. Applications are available at City Hall.

Feel free to call or stop in at City Hall, 580-7200 and ask for Craig or Mark for more information.

Open Burning

Open burning within the corporate limits of Spencer is not allowed by ordinance.

To dispose of leaves, grass clippings and other lawn waste or any household waste by burning is illegal. You may be subject to a fine.

Other means of disposal are available. You may bag and tag items, which the City will haul away or you may take your lawn waste items only to the designated tree and leaf site located 1 mile north of the intersection of West 18th Street and 18th Avenue West. Please observe all rules posted at the site. Questions may be directed to City Hall at (712) 580-7200 or the Fire Department at (712) 580-7240.

Voting Information

General Information

To register to vote you must be a citizen of the United States, at least 17 1/2 years old and declare Iowa as your voting residence. You must be at least 18 years old to vote.

You can register to vote at the following locations:

  • Clay County Auditor's office, 300 West 4th Street, Spencer, Iowa
  • City Clerk's office, 418 2nd Avenue West, Spencer, Iowa
  • When you renew your driver's license
For information on the nomination process for municipal elections, contact the City Clerk's office.

Voting Precinct Locations - Municipal, State and Federal Elections

If you need precinct information for voting, contact the Clay County Auditor's office at
(712) 262-4569.
All precincts vote at the Clay County Regional Events Center, 800 West 18th Street.
Click here for a map of Spencer wards